If you have sustained a serious injury, getting the advice of a quality personal injury lawyer is important. In some cases, you may deserve compensation for your medical bills and other losses. However, getting that compensation can be extremely difficult without an attorney to help you with your case. Finding a lawyer that handles personal injury cases can be tough. To ensure you find the best personal injury lawyer, here are a few helpful tips and ideas to follow.
Where to Look for Quality Lawyers
First, if you are having a tough time finding an experienced personal injury lawyer, you may be wondering where to begin your search. Without the names of a few area attorneys, it will be difficult to compare your options and choose the best lawyer for your needs. The following are several places to begin looking for referrals to local lawyers.
– Ask Family Members, Friends or Coworkers for Referrals – If you know family members, friends or coworkers who have suffered a personal injury, considering asking them for a referral to a local attorney. Someone you know may have experience with one of the local firms. However, make sure you do your own research before hiring a lawyer.
– Seek Referrals from a Current Lawyer – Maybe you already have a lawyer who has put together a will for you or you have worked with a family law attorney in the past. If you already have a current lawyer who does not practice personal injury law, consider asking your lawyer for a referral. Since you trust your lawyer, he or she may be able to recommend a good personal injury lawyer to you.
– Professional Referral Services – Of course, professional referral services can also help you find local lawyers. Local bar associations often have their own referral services that include listings of local lawyers. Consider finding out about the screening process of a referral service before using that service to find a personal injury attorney.
Tips for Choosing the Best Personal Injury Lawyer
After you have the name of a few attorneys in your area, then it is time to figure out which one is the best personal injury lawyer for you. Follow these tips to ensure you make the best decision for your unique needs and your personal injury case.
– Tip #1 – Find Out How Long the Lawyer Has Been Practicing – When considering different lawyers, it is important to find out how long the lawyer has been practicing before making your decision. You may want to ask how long the individual has been practicing law, where they graduated from law school and other pertinent questions.
– Tip #2 – Ask About Personal Injury Experience – Not only do you want an experienced lawyer, but you want to find a lawyer that has plenty of personal injury experience. Ask what percentage of the attorney’s practice focuses on personal injury law. If the lawyer specializes in another type of law and rarely deals with personal injury cases, it may be best to continue your search for a personal injury lawyer.
– Tip #3 – Have an In-Person Meeting with the Lawyer – Talking to a lawyer on the phone is not enough. Before deciding on the best personal injury lawyer, make sure you have an in-person meeting with the lawyer. The relationship between you and your lawyer will need to be built on trust, so an in-person meeting will go a long way towards telling you if this is the right attorney for your needs.
– Tip #4 – Ask About Fees – When choosing your lawyer, it is also essential to ask about fees. Many personal injury lawyers will charge you a percentage of your settlement if you win. That fee may vary but usually ranges between 25-50%, depending upon the lawyer. Other lawyers may charge by the hour. Before making a decision, make sure you look through the retainer agreement carefully to make sure you understand the fees and how they work.
– Tip #5 – Find Out Who Will Handle Your Case – You also should find out who will handle your case before hiring a personal injury lawyer. Is the lawyer you meet with going to be handling your case personally? Some lawyers may pass your case on to someone else. If another is going to be involved in your case in any way, it is a good idea to ask for a meeting with that lawyer as well.
– Tip #6 – Ensure You Feel Comfortable with the Personal Injury Lawyer – Ensure you feel comfortable with the personal injury lawyer that you hire. When having the in-person meetings with the lawyers you are considering, get a feel for how the lawyer talks to you and whether you have a natural rapport. If you feel uncomfortable in any way, it’s best to consider a different lawyer. You will be working closely with your lawyer, so finding someone you feel comfortable working with is essential.